11 January 2010

Catching up! The Tuesday10: Newness and Last Resorts from Friday5s past!

2010 has come, all, and as such... I've started my year as a procrastinator and run behind on my Friday 5s.  Here's a double dose of what we all missed!

January 1: Newness


1) What’s something that’s better when the newness has worn off?
Sewing machines.  When mine was new, all I wanted to do was play with all the cool new features and whatnot.  But now that I've had it a couple of years, I know how everything works, and I use the features a little more wisely now.

2) What’s something you already own that could stand to be replaced by the newer version?
Guitar Hero.  Yeah, I have version 3, which rocks, but I could stand to have Rock Band.

3) What’s something that was better before someone made it “new and improved?”
iTunes.  You used to be able to cut songs and create ringtones without having to pay like $2, and not all songs had the dastardly DRM... or did they?

4) Of geographic locations whose names begin with the word “new,” which seems like the most interesting place to visit?
I'll go with the obvious here - New York City.  I was only there once, for a weekend in the eighth grade, and really only got to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island due to excessive cloud cover.  There's so much more to the city, and I want to see it!

5) On what date will 2010 no longer feel like the new year?
Probably my birthday - April 6th.  Or whenever I get my taxes back.


January 8: Last Resorts

1) What’s something you wear only when you’re just about out of clean clothes?
Laura's old jeans (because they're too big) and my oversized tees... and typically nice button-ups and skirts.  It's either the bottom of the barrel, or the part that makes me look like I'm from Wall Street.

2) Who’s someone you hang out with only if nobody else is available?
Eh, if I want to go out and no one is available, I'll either stay at home or go to Chatterbox.  I'd rather drop in on those guys than invite a burden upon myself.

3) What’s something you eat only when the budget is really, really tight?
I'd love to say ramen, but eating ramen occurs when I'm lazy and don't really want to cook.  Egg noodles with summer sausage last a while and are delicious together with a little parmesan cheese and butter, or I dig out whatever's in the back of the freezer and fry it up.  Last resort would probably be whatever's in the back of my PARENT'S freezer.  (And yes, I'll be making a stew out of the ham bones from Christmas dinner.)

4) Who’s someone you call for help only if you absolutely must?
Anyone, really.  I hate calling for help.  I have a phone with GPS and a car with four-wheel drive.  I hope to not need it.  But if family's gone, and assuming Laura doesn't answer her phone, and my roommates are passed out in bed with their phones in the living room, then probably... Alisa.  She's first alphabetically, and typically pretty reliable.

5) What’s something you’ll watch on television only because it’s slightly better than watching nothing?
Montel.  Las Vegas.  Pretty much anything on networks during the daytime.  And especially... the "news."  I can learn more about what's going on in the world with a five-minute RSS feed troll than I can watching the news.  But watch it I do... when there's nothing else on.