21 December 2009

Article of the Week: Golden Globe nominees for 2010!

Okay, so it's not really an article, more of just a straight-up list that was released this week, but on my radar, it's kind of a big deal. 
So I'm a nerd - this should already be clear to you.  And, while I can't get behind the fact that there's an award show for every damn thing now, I do follow the biggies: the Emmys and the Oscars and, to a lesser extent, the Tonys and the Grammys.  I appreciate the Golden Globes for being voted on by journalists from around the world, and the SAG Awards because it's actors voting for actors (the ultimate peer review).  As I've been telling folks - TV is like sports to me.  I know stats on many an actor, in what show or movie they've appeared in, tiny little snippets of their personal life, and even how being on one show may affect their performance or appearence on another.  So these award shows are kind of like the playoffs for me.

And so, much like many fans do, here's my picks for the 2010 Golden Globes:


Best Motion Picture - Drama
Avatar
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious: Based On The Novel Push By Sapphire
Up In The Air

I've only seen two of these flicks, and within the past week (Inglorious Basterds and Avatar) and, while both were brilliantly done, I don't know that I'm qualified to give either the vouch without giving the others a try, especially since I'm a sucker for both.  However, I don't think that the Golden Globe judges will be.  I think this one'll go to Up in the Air or The Hurt Locker.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Emily Blunt – The Young Victoria
Sandra Bullock – The Blind Side
Helen Mirren – The Last Station
Carey Mulligan – An Education
Gabourey Sidibe – Precious: Based On The Novel Push By Sapphire

Wild guess: Helen Mirren or Carey Mulligan. 

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Jeff Bridges – Crazy Heart
George Clooney – Up In The Air
Colin Firth – A Single Man
Morgan Freeman – Invictus
Tobey Maguire – Brothers

Tobey Maguire in a real, honest-to-goodess dramatic role?  For the win, provided Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela and George Clooney as... George Clooney don't win.

Best Motion Picture - Musical Or Comedy
(500) Days Of Summer
The Hangover
It's Complicated
Julie & Julia
Nine

Again, only have seen one of these ((500 Days of Summer), but it's such a good film.  It's not at all like like the "funny-for-the-sake-of-being-funny" other choices in this field, but in fact goes deeper than that.  It's also both a sad and happy film (I'm trying to not ruin it for y'all).  Not since The Notebook or High Fidelity have I seen a relationship presented more honestly.  And yeah, it's funny, too.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Sandra Bullock – The Proposal
Marion Cotillard – Nine
Julia Roberts – Duplicity
Meryl Streep – It's Complicated
Meryl Streep – Julie & Julia

Uh... hate to go with the obvious, but Meryl Streep?  Woman's on a roll, and she's had some wonderful co-stars to play off of in both It's Complicated and Julie & Julia.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical Or Comedy
Matt Damon – The Informant!
Daniel Day-Lewis – Nine
Robert Downey Jr. – Sherlock Holmes
Joseph Gordon-Levitt – (500) Days Of Summer
Michael Stuhlbarg – A Serious Man

Personal bias here: I'm routing for Joseph Gordon-Levitt and his triumphant return to my good graces, and out-of-nowhere Michael Stuhlbarg (But I didn't do anything!).

Best Performance by an Actress In A Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Penélope Cruz – Nine
Vera Farmiga – Up In The Air
Anna Kendrick – Up In The Air
Mo'nique – Precious: Based On The Novel Push By Sapphire
Julianne Moore – A Single Man

I'll never vote for Penélope Cruz for anything; I don't know why she keeps showing up on these.  And as for the others - I'm not familiar with three of them, and really love the fourth.  I'm choosing Julianne Moore based on personal bias alone.

Best Performance by an Actor In A Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Matt Damon – Invictus
Woody Harrelson – The Messenger
Christopher Plummer – The Last Station
Stanley Tucci – The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz – Inglourious Basterds

Fun choices here!  As far as these go, I either love the actor, or loved the film.  I think I'll go with Christoph Waltz for this one.  His character was just so deliciously evil.  He made me hate him and love him at the same time, switched effortlessly between four languages over the course of the film, and also, strangely enough, called to mind Willem Dafoe's performance in "The Boondock Saints."  And he's kind of cleaning up in the awards department for his role as Hans Landa.

Best Animated Feature Film
Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Princess And The Frog
Up

I'm too proud of Disney's return to straight-up animation to not hope that The Princess and The Frog wins, though I've heard Up was absolutely fantastic as well.

Best Foreign Language Film
Baaria (Italy)
Broken Embraces (Spain)
The Maid (La Nana) (Chile)
A Prophet (Un Prophete) (France)
The White Ribbon (Das Weisse Band - Eine Deutsche Kindergeschichte) (Germany)

No ideas here, but The Maid (La Nana) out of Chile might win because it's not from Europe.

Best Director - Motion Picture
Kathryn Bigelow – The Hurt Locker
James Cameron – Avatar
Clint Eastwood – Invictus
Jason Reitman – Up In The Air
Quentin Tarantino – Inglourious Basterds

Another Cameron vs. Tarantino battle.  Oh, man, I wonder how they'd fight!  Tarantino would have a pair of handguns, obviously - really shiny ones, and Cameron would have whatever was lying around!  Like a wrench or a stick or his own femur if he had to!  And the fight would take place in an old warehouse or an old car factory and there'd be blood and gore and bullets flying everywhere!
...right.  Golden Globe nominees.  Part of me hopes they don't go with the obvious choices for this one, but I'd like to see Tarantino (good pacing and timing, interesting shots) or Cameron (working with a lot of computer elements well is his wheelhouse, and the dude spent 11 years making this one) win this one.

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
District 9
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
It's Complicated
Up In The Air

District 9, hands down.  Man.  Alien invasion and subsequent "quarantine" and segregation, set upon the backdrop of South Africa?  You kidding?  Win.

Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Up - Composed by Michael Giacchino
The Informant! - Composed by Marvin Hamlisch
Avatar - Composed by James Horner
A Single Man - Composed by Abel Korzeniowski
Where The Wild Things Are - Composed by Karen O and Carter Burwell

My hipster soul hopes for Where The Wild Things Are to win this one, but my love for both James Horner and Michael Giacchino win out.  I think Giacchino will take this one home.

Best Original Song - Motion Picture
"Cinema Italiano" – Nine
"I See You" - Avatar
"I Want To Come Home" – Everybody's Fine
"The Weary Kind (Theme From Crazy Heart)" – Crazy Heart
"Winter" – Brothers

As much as I hate to see Bono take home awards for mediocre music-making and a "unifying sound" that's fluctuated more than Oprah's weight, I think "Winter" from Brothers will win this one because everyone seems to be a sucker for that Irish bastard.*

*Note: I just don't get the appeal of U2.  I apologize if anyone takes offense.  But I just don't get it.

Best Television Series - Drama
Big Love (HBO)
Dexter (SHOWTIME)
House (FOX)
Mad Men (AMC)
True Blood (HBO)

I'm pulling for House with this one.  There's been some beautiful character development this season, especially since House kicked that vicodin habit, Cuddy got a man and Wilson started branching out in his cancer treatments (if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about, if not, well, I've already ruined it for one person, and I won't ruin it for you).  It's really a dynamite season.

Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series - Drama
Glenn Close – Damages (FX NETWORK)
January Jones – Mad Men (AMC)
Julianna Margulies – The Good Wife (CBS)
Anna Paquin – True Blood (HBO)
Kyra Sedgwick – The Closer (TNT)

I'm going to stick close to my generation here and pick January Jones and Anna Paquin for the two shows I can't watch due to my lack of real cable.

Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series - Drama
Simon Baker – The Mentalist (CBS)
Michael C. Hall – Dexter (SHOWTIME)
Jon Hamm – Mad Men (AMC)
Hugh Laurie – House (FOX)
Bill Paxton – Big Love (HBO)

Again - pulling for House in this one.  Hugh Laurie's performance has been fantastic this year, and he's gotten the priviledge of playing off of James Earl Jones and Andre Braugher, let alone his regular co-stars.  His character has gone through an amazing transformation, and no one could have shown it better.

Best Television Series - Musical Or Comedy
30 Rock (NBC)
Entourage (HBO)
Glee (FOX)
Modern Family (ABC)
The Office (NBC)

Oh man, how much do I hate 30 Rock.  Probably as much as U2.  They'll probably win it, but I think Glee really should, and not just because I love musicals (and, like, have a huge crush on Mr. Schu!).  The timing of this show is really top-notch, and I'm hard-pressed to think of another show that more accurately portrays the high school experience.

Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series - Musical Or Comedy
Toni Collette – United States Of Tara (SHOWTIME)
Courteney Cox – Cougar Town (ABC)
Edie Falco – Nurse Jackie (SHOWTIME)
Tina Fey – 30 Rock (NBC)
Lea Michele – Glee (FOX)

Again, pulling for Lea Michele (she's been on Broadway!  Come on, people!), but Tina Fey will probably phone this one in for a win.

Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series - Musical Or Comedy
Alec Baldwin – 30 Rock (NBC)
Steve Carell – The Office (NBC)
David Duchovny – Californication (SHOWTIME)
Thomas Jane – Hung (HBO)
Matthew Morrison – Glee (FOX)

Dear Golden Globes: Stop pitting Glee against 30 Rock.  Give these poor misfits a chance.  Matthew Morrison is amazing in his role as Mr. Schuster, but he'll probably lose the award to Alec Baldwin who, like Tina Fey, doesn't even try to make good television anymore.  He sings, he dances, and he has his heart broken.  Please give the poor guy a shot.  Sincerely, Maggie.

Best Mini-Series Or Motion Picture Made for Television
Georgia O'Keeffe (LIFETIME)
Grey Gardens (HBO)
Into The Storm (HBO)
Little Dorrit (PBS)
Taking Chance (HBO)

Written by Charles Dickens and starring Matthew Macfayden?  Little Dorrit wins.  Also, it's more accessible than the other options, and I won't argue with seven Emmys.

Best Performance by an Actress In A Mini-series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Joan Allen – Georgia O'Keeffe (LIFETIME)
Drew Barrymore – Grey Gardens (HBO)
Jessica Lange – Grey Gardens (HBO)
Anna Paquin – The Courageous Heart Of Irena (CBS)
Sigourney Weaver – Prayers For Bobby (LIFETIME)

Wild guess: Jessica Lange in Grey Gardens.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Kevin Bacon – Taking Chance (HBO)
Kenneth Branagh – Wallander: One Step Behind (BBC)
Chiwetel Ejiofor – Endgame (PBS)
Brendan Gleeson – Into The Storm (HBO)
Jeremy Irons – Georgia O'Keeffe (LIFETIME)

The nerdiest bits of me are at war, half of them routing for Chiwetel Ejifor and half for Brenden Gleeson.  Ejifor wins.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Jane Adams – Hung (HBO)
Rose Byrne – Damages (FX NETWORK)
Jane Lynch – Glee (FOX)
Janet McTeer – Into The Storm (HBO)
Chlo Sevigny – Big Love (HBO)

If Jane Lynch doesn't win this, I'll probably cry.  In her role as Sue Sylvester, she plays the most ruthless and cunning Queen Bitch of the Universe I've ever seen in the history of my life.  The only other character I can think to compare her to is Dr. Romano from ER - she has an endearing back story that just draws you in, and you can't help but love to hate her.  Man, I can't wait to see what she does next.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Michael Emerson – Lost (ABC)
Neil Patrick Harris – How I Met Your Mother (CBS)
William Hurt – Damages (FX NETWORK)
John Lithgow – Dexter (SHOWTIME)
Jeremy Piven – Entourage (HBO)

Can I abstain from voting at this point?  1) When Michael Emerson won the Emmy for LOST earlier this year, I did a victory lap around my living room. 2) I don't think a person can see they've seen John Lithgow act until they've seen him act EVIL and, as Trinity, he scared the bejesus out of me.  3) My abiding love for Neil Patrick Harris has been a constant in my life, and his work on How I Met Your Mother has been nothing short of AWESOME. 4) My brother will kill me if I don't mention how cool and awesome Jeremy Piven is, even though even he thinks Johnny Drama has had a better season of Entourage than Ari Gold has 5) Sorry, William Hurt, but I don't watch your show.  Congrats on the nom, though!
I think that the judges will be hard-pressed to pick an actor who doesn't portray evil here, and it'll probably be either Michael Emerson or John Lithgow.  Man, did he scare the bejesus out of me.  Both of 'em.


Well, there you have it.  I suppose we'll find out who wins in a month!