19 February 2010

Friday 5 for February 19: Rules

Here we go! This week's Friday 5: Rules

1) Be honest: what are some rules you have for yourself that don’t really make much sense?
I always give people a second chance, no matter how they've wronged me in the past.  Chances are, they wrong me again.  It's a vicious cycle of betrayal, and I'm constantly open to it.

2) What rules of questionable sense did your parents have for you when you were young?
They didn't ground us.  Offering the "we're not going to ground our children" thing as a discipline tool really only worked one-third of the time.  Sorry, guys, but it's true.

3) What’s a rule most people (if not all people) seem never to obey?
Think before you speak.  I'm guilty of it, too, and it has gotten me into trouble.  But we live in a world where everything's expected to be instant; if you don't want to know, don't ask.

4) There are no rules governing the giving and receiving of Valentine’s Day gifts, but what rules should there be?
Two gifts must be purchased at Valentine's Day - one to be distributed on or near February 14th, and one to be distributed at a random point sometime during the year.  (That is to say: buy two things, and save one for when you need to apologize.)

5) If the Golden Rule says you should do unto others as you’d have others do unto you, what would the Silver and Bronze rules say?
I think I'll pull the Silver rule from an episode of Bones.  Booth's kid, Parker, keeps getting beat up by a girl, but he doesn't fight back because his dad taught him not to hit a girl.  He amends this teaching, and updates Bones: "I told him to walk away if it’s for himself, and to stand up and fight if it’s for someone else." (Season 4, "The Finger in the Nest")  Very good Silver Rule.
As for Bronze, I'll refer to #3 and say "Think before you speak."

And there you have it - another week, another 5.